Frequently Asked Questions
PLEASE NOTE: Information provided is subject to change.
Where does the Fun Run start and finish?
- The Bega Fun Run starts and finishes on the Bega Street side of the Bega Recreation Ground, Main Entrance from Carp Street, Bega, NSW.
What date is the Fun Run held?
- The Bega Fun Run is held annually in October.
- In 2018 the event will be held on Sunday 21 October.
What time does the Fun Run start?
- 10km – 8:00am start
- 5km – 9:00am start
- 2km – 9:45am start
What are the course routes?
- Please visit the course page for details.
HOW TO ENTER
Who can enter?
- Anyone of any age and ability can enter subject to accepting the terms and conditions which include declaring physical fitness and capability of participating in the event category selected.
- People who intend to walk the course are encouraged to enter the 5km event, as a cut-off time at the midway point will be in place for 10km entrants.
- Entrants under 16 years may take part in any event category, but must enter only one 5km category being either the Junior 5km or the Open 5km and will only be eligible for prizes and awards in one 5km event category.
- Entrants may choose to enter both the 10km and 5km event if physically capable of completing the 10km course within 60 minutes. During changeover, entrants must change race bibs and must cross the 5km race start no later than the 9:05am start cut-off time.
- The 2km kids dash is designed to encourage younger runners who cannot do the 5km, and for that reason there are special entry rules for this event:
- Kids Dash is open to children under 12 years on day of event.
- Kids Dash participants will not be able to enter the 5km or 10km event in the same year they participate in the kids dash.
How can I enter?
- The only way to enter prior to the day is online.
- Online registration opens 9:00am 1st August
- Payment method for online entries is via credit card or Paypal. If you do not own or have access to a credit card or Paypal, Australia Post have a facility where you can purchase a prepaid card that can be used for online purchases.
- All entrants are required to accept the terms and conditions.
- Early Bird online registration closes at 11:59pm on 31st August.
- Standard online registration closes at 12:00pm on Saturday before event.
- On-the-day registration will be available (at extra cost).
- Payment method for on-the-day entries is via cash or eftpos.
- On-day entries will open at 7:00am and close 30 minutes before the start of each event.
What entry fees apply?
- 10km Run
- Early-Bird Online: $35
- Standard Online: $40
- On-day: $45
- Open 5km Run|Walk
- Early-Bird Online: $25
- Standard Online: $30
- On-day: $35
- Junior 5km Run|Walk (under 14 years)
- Early-Bird Online: $20
- Standard Online: $20
- On-day: $20
- Kids Dash – 2km (under 12 years)
- Early-Bird Online: $8
- Standard Online: $8
- On-day: $10
Entry categories and fees are subject to change.
What discounts apply?
- Sapphire Coast Runners Inc members receive 50% discount on online entry fees – Join now
- If a family register a minimum of 4 people (2 adults and 2 children or 1 Adult and 3 children) through the online family registration option they will receive $10 discount off the overall family registration cost.
What does the entry fee pay for?
- Your fee contributes to costs associated with prizes and prize money, finisher medals, race bibs, timing services/devices, traffic management services and associated costs, equipment and supplies and event insurance.
- Event organisers provide free water during the race, complimentary refresh station at the finish line for entrants, and team and individual prizes and prize money in multiple categories.
Can I create or join a team?
- When registering online you will be presented with the option to create or join a team.
- A team may have members in the 10km or 5km event or both and need not create a separate team for each category.
- Team award categories include fastest open team, largest team and best dressed team.
- To be eligible for the Team Champion Award (fastest open team) a team must have a minimum of 4 registered members complete the same event category 5km or 10km.
- A team’s time is calculated by combining the 4 fastest team member times in the event category.
How will I receive my race pack?
- Race bibs must be collected from Sapphire Coast Runners tent at least 20 minutes prior to the start of your event (by 7:40am for 10km entrants, by 8:40am for 5km entrants and 9:25am for kids dash).
What if I need to make a change to my entry?
- Entries are non-transferable, although changes to event category (e.g. changing from 10km or 5km) or adding or changing team may be permitted.
- Changes to an online entry must be made by 5:00pm on Friday immediately before event.
- Changes may incur additional fees.
- Refunds will only be made up to 7 days prior to the event and will only be given for a medical reason supported by a medical certificate. In this case a $5 administration fee will be deducted and if a race pack has been sent out, the entrant must return it to Sapphire Coast Runners at his or her own expense prior to refund being processed.
How is the event timed?
- In 2018 event timing will be performed by volunteers using stopwatches
- While every effort is made to accurately record and publish results delays and a small number of errors may occur and we sincerely apologise for this. Wherever possible, verified timing errors will be corrected .
- In order to receive an individual finishing time, race bibs must be worn on front torso, affixed with safety pins and not covered (e.g. by a jumper)
- A course marshall records all bib numbers of 10km runners passing through checkpoints located at the Bega River Reserve refreshment station and Tarraganda Road turnaround.
What running etiquette is expected?
Entrants are asked to adhere to the following running protocol:
- Be aware of course route.
- Make sure your race bib is clearly visible on the front of your torso.
- Be ready in starting chute at least 5 minutes before event start
- Self-seed correctly – If you are fast, move to the front of the starting pack, if slow, move to the back.
- Pay attention to all instructions given to you by course marshalls and event organisers.
- Stay within marked course at all times.
- DO NOT cross traffic cone or barrier lines.
- Maintain high level awareness of other road users. Note, there are sections of course where runners/walkers share road with vehicle traffic.
- Be courteous to other runners/walkers.
- Give way to faster runners/walkers.
- Be considerate of local residents, visitors and spectators.
- If using an iPod, other music device or any devices emitting sound, limit sound.
- If using earphones, maintain high-level visual awareness of marshalls and others.
- Be appreciative of event organisers, volunteers and course marshalls, who have all volunteered their time to make the event possible.
Is the start seeded?
- Entrants are requested to self-seed, faster runners starting at front, and slower runners and walkers starting toward back of field.
What cut-off times apply?
- A 5 minute start line cut off time applies from gun start.: 8:05am cut-off applies to the 10km run, and 9:05am to the 5km run|walk
- A cut off time of 9:15am will apply to the 10km run (at the turnaround point on Tarraganda Lane about 6.5km into the event) with a course marshall vehicle tailing last runners back to the finish. People not meeting the cutoff can continue on the footpaths. Timing of the event will continue to 10:30am.
- Re-opening of Tarraganda Lane will commence after tailing runners of the 10km event at 9:15am. Bridge Street will reopen from 10:00am. Auckland Street will reopen from 10:30am.
- A finish line cut-off time of 10:30am applies to all events
What can I do with my gear?
- Limited short-term storage will be available to runners for non-valuable belongings at the Sapphire Coast Runners tent. Valuables not accepted and no responsibility will be taken for stored items.
- All clothing that is discarded at the start or finish lines and lost property not claimed on day will be donated to charity.
What happens if I require medical attention on the day?
- A basic first aid kit is available at the Sapphire Coast Runners tent.
- Trained first-aiders will be at the event.
- If further assistance is required, such as transportation to hospital, costs are incurred by the patient.
Where are the drink stations?
- Bega Rec Ground finish area
- Poplar Avenue (2km, 5km & 10km event)
- Bridge Street at 5km turnaround point (5km & 10km event – note 10km event can use this drink station on the way out and on the way back)
Where are toilet facilities located?
- All events: Public toilets available at Bega Recreation Ground
- 5km & 10Km: Public toilets available at Valley Fields Sports Ground.
How can I find out my result?
- A presentation to category winners will take place at finish area at approximately 10.00am.
- Event results will be posted on the website.
Are prams or assisted wheelchairs allowed?
- Prams, strollers and assisted wheelchairs are permitted however, people pushing them must be aware that the course involves transitions up and down gutters and across uneven sections of ground.
- Entrants who are pushing a pram or wheelchair are requested to start at the back of each start zone and be considerate of other runners and walkers around them by allowing extra room.
- Children and babies travelling in prams or people in assisted wheelchairs are not required to be registered.
Are pets allowed?
- No animals are allowed on the course.
- Assistance dogs are permitted but the Fun Run organisers must be made aware of this, please email us.
- What other restrictions apply?
- Bikes, skateboards, scooters, rip sticks, rollerblades or similar items are prohibited for safety reasons.
- This event is promoted as a smoke free event.
REWARDS AND PRIZES
What rewards are on offer?
- All people registering online are eligible for special spot prizes.
- All registered finishers receive a special Sapphire Coast Runners finisher medal plus with distance indicated on ribbon and access to a downloadable finisher certificate online.
- Sponsor samples and goodies are made available to registered runners at the finish line.
What event category prizes are on offer?
Note: The official gun time is considered your official race time and is the basis for any category awards and prizes given out to participants. Participants are only eligible for one individual award in the event category entered. Participants must walk or run unassisted to be eligible for prizes.
Male and Female winners each receive a medal plus prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd:
1st – $200
2nd – $125
3rd – $75
Note: There is no prize category in the 10km event for juniors (under 16s) as the organisers do not wish to encourage children younger than 16 to race such a long distance. It is up to the parent or the guardian to decide if their child is capable of completing and enjoying the longer course.
Open 5km Run|Walk
Open male and female winners each receive a medal plus prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd:
1st – $100
2nd – $60
3rd – $30
Junior 5km Run|Walk
Junior male and female winners each receive a medal plus prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd:
1st – $60
2nd – $30
3rd – $20
2km Kids Dash
Junior male and female winners each receive a medal plus prize pack for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Team prizes awarded in the following categories:
- 10km Open Team Champion – awarded travelling perpetual team trophy plus $100 prizemoney
- 5km Open Team Champion – awarded travelling perpetual team trophy plus $100 prizemoney
- Best Dressed team – awarded $100 prizemoney
- Largest team – awarded $100 prizemoney
Are refreshments available on the day?
- At the start/finish there will be hospitality stalls.
What road closures will be in effect?
- Road closures and detours will be in place to ensure the safety of participants and non-event community.
What parking will be available?
- There is a lot of parking available in the Carp Street carpark of the recreation ground and plenty of parking along Carp Street. You can also park in parts of Auckland Street that will afford you good access to the rear of the Bega Rec Ground.
- Please note Bega Street will be closed from Auckland Street to Poplar Avenue from 4am on the morning of the event. All drivers should make themselves aware of road closures and detours in place for the event.
- Where volunteers and competitors are living/staying in Bega they are encouraged to leave car at accommodation/home and walk to/from start/finish area.
- Where car travel is necessary please car pool where possible.
- We will have bicycle parking available at the event – please bring your own locks/security devices as no responsibility will be taken for your bicycle.
- Please note that illegally parked vehicles may be fined.
- Race info – frequently asked questions
- Register online
- Road closures
- Email Bega Fun Run
- Like Bega Fun Run on Facebook