Where does the Fun Run start and finish?
- The Merimbula Fun Run starts and finishes at Ford Park, Ocean Drive Merimbula NSW.
- The Merimbula Fun Run is held annually on the last Sunday in May.
- In 2018, the event will be held on Sunday 27 May.
What time does the Fun Run start?
- 10km – 8:00am start
- 5km – 9:00am start
- 2km Kids Dash – 9:45am start
What are the course routes?
- Please visit the course page for details.
HOW TO ENTER
Who can enter?
- Anyone of any age and ability can enter subject to accepting the terms and conditions which include declaring physically fitness and capability of participating in the event category selected.
- People who intend to walk the course are encouraged to enter the 5km event, as a cut-off time at the midway point will be in place for 10km entrants.
- There is no junior category for the 10km event, though under 14s may enter the open category for this event.
- Entrants under 14 years taking part in the 5km event must nominate either the Junior 5km Run|Walk or the Open 5km Run|Walk and will only be eligible for prizes and awards in one 5km event category.
- Entrants may choose to enter both the 10km and 5km event if physically capable of completing the 10km course within 60 minutes. During changeover, entrants must change race bibs and must cross the 5km race start no later than the 9:05am start cut-off time.
- The kids dash is designed to encourage younger runners who cannot do the 5km, and for that reason there are special entry rules for this event:
- Kids Dash is open to children under 12 years on day of event.
- Kids Dash participants are not permitted to take part in the 5km or 10km event in the same year they participate in the kids dash.
- Several supervising adults will run with junior dash field, including a tail runner to accompany all juniors home.
- A parent or supervising adult may run with under 8s if required, given they have removed their own race bib.
How can I enter?
- The only way to enter prior to the day is online.
- Online registration opens 9:00am 1st February – register now
- Payment method for online entries is via credit card or Paypal. If you do not own or have access to a credit card or Paypal, Australia Post have a facility where you can purchase a prepaid card that can be used for online purchases.
- All entrants are required to accept the terms and conditions.
- Early Bird online registration closes at 11:59pm on 31st March.
- Standard online registration closes at 5:00pm on Friday before event.
- Late online registration is available from 5:00pm on Friday before event until 5:00pm on Saturday before event.
- On-the-day registration is available (at extra cost).
- Payment method for on-the-day entries is via cash or eftpos.
- On-day entries will open at 6:30am and close 30 minutes before the start of each event.
What entry fees apply?
- 10km Run
- Early-Bird Online: $35
- Standard Online: $40
- Late Online or On-day: $45
- Open 5km Run|Walk
- Early-Bird Online: $25
- Standard Online: $30
- Late Online or On-day: $35
- Junior 5km Run|Walk (under 14 years)
- Early-Bird Online: $20
- Standard Online: $25
- Late Online or On-day: $30
- 2km Kids Dash (under 12 years)
- Early-Bird Online: $8
- Standard Online: $10
- Late Online or On-day: $12
Entry categories and fees are subject to change.
What discounts apply?
- Sapphire Coast Runners Inc members receive 10% discount on online entry fees – Join now
- If a family register a minimum of 2 adults and 2 children through the online family registration option they will receive $10 discount off the overall family registration cost.
What does the entry fee pay for?
- Your fee contributes to costs associated with prizes and prize money, finisher medals, race bibs, timing tags, timing services, course measurement, traffic management services and associated costs, equipment and supplies and event insurance.
- Event organisers provide free water during the race, complimentary refresh station at the finish line for entrants, and team and individual prizes and prize money in multiple categories.
Can I create or join a team?
- When registering online you will be presented with the option to create or join a team.
- A team may have members in the 10km, 5km or 2km events and need not create a separate team for each category.
- Team award categories include fastest 5km team, fastest 10km team, largest team and best dressed team.
- To be eligible for the Team Champion Award (fastest open team) a team must have a minimum of 4 registered members complete the same event category 5km or 10km.
- A team’s time is calculated by combining the 4 fastest team member times in the event category.
- Race packs (race bib with inserted timing chip) will be posted to all entrants registering online on or before 30th April.
- Entrants registering online after 30th April will be required to collect their race pack from the Sapphire Coast Runners tent on the day from 7:00am.
- Race packs must be collected from Sapphire Coast Runners tent at least 20 minutes prior to the start of your event (by7:40am for 10km entrants, by 8:40am for 5km entrants, by 9:25am for Kids Dash entrants).
What if I need to make a change to my entry?
- Entries are non-transferable, although changes to event category (e.g. changing from 10km or 5km) or adding or changing team may be permitted.
- Changes to an online entry must be made by 5:00pm on Friday immediately before event.
- Changes may incur additional fees.
- Refunds will only be made up to 7 days prior to the event and will only be given for a medical reason supported by a medical certificate. In this case a $5 administration fee will be deducted and if a race pack has been sent out, the entrant must return it to Sapphire Coast Runners at his or her own expense prior to refund being processed.
How is the event timed?
- While every effort is made to accurately record and publish results a small number of errors may occur and we sincerely apologise for this. Wherever possible, verified timing errors will be corrected by our timing provider Tomato Timing.
- Your timing device is a single-use bib tag.
- In order to receive an accurate individual finishing time, race bibs must be:
- Clearly visible on front torso, affixed with 4 safety pins
- Not covered (e.g. by a jumper)
- Unaltered and unmodified - please do not bend or fold your bib
- A course marshall records all bib numbers of 10km runners passing through the mid-point turn at the Wharf.
- Official time – the gun time is considered your official race time and is the basis for any awards given out to participants.
- Net time – this is your unofficial personal time, that measures your race results by registering your race chip as you run across timing mats at the start and finish.
What running etiquette is expected?
Entrants are asked to adhere to the following running protocol:
- Be aware of course route.
- Make sure your race bib is clearly visible on the front of your torso.
- Be ready in starting chute at least 5 minutes before event start.
- Self-seed correctly – If you are fast, move to the front of the starting pack, if slow, move to the back.
- Pay attention to all instructions given to you by course marshalls and event organisers.
- Stay within marked course at all times.
- DO NOT cross traffic cone or barrier lines – keep right of centre markers.
- Maintain high level awareness of other road users. Note, there are sections of course where runners/walkers share road with vehicle traffic.
- Be courteous to other runners/walkers.
- Give way to faster runners/walkers.
- Be considerate of local residents, visitors and spectators.
- If using an iPod, other music device or any devices emitting sound, limit sound.
- If using earphones, maintain high-level visual awareness of marshalls and others.
- Be appreciative of event organisers, volunteers and course marshalls, who have all volunteered their time to make the event possible.
Is the start seeded?
Entrants are requested to self-seed using the start zones as a guide:
- Red Zone: 10km sub 40 minutes, 5km sub 20 minutes
- Orange Zone: 10km 40 – 50 minutes, 5km 20 – 25 minutes
- Blue Zone: 10km 50 – 60 minutes, 5km 25 – 30 minutes
- Green Zone: 10km 60+ minutes, 5km 30+ minutes
Those pushing a pram or stroller are asked to start from the back.
- A 5 minute start line cut off time applies from gun start.
- A midway cut off time of 8:45am will apply to the 10km run (at Wharf turnaround checkpoint) with a course marshall vehicle tailing last runners back to Beach Street, with roads reopened in this section from 9:00am.
- From 9:45am, if you are travelling on course between Beach Street through to bridge and corner of Marine Parade and Fishpen Road you are required to continue on footpath as roads are reopened to traffic at this time.
- From 10:15am, if you are travelling on course between Fishpen Road and Ocean Drive to finish line you will be required to continue on on footpath as all roads are reopened to traffic at this time.
- Finish line timing cut-off of 10:30am applies to all events.
What can I do with my gear?
- Limited short-term storage will be available to runners for non-valuable belongings at the Sapphire Coast Runners tent. Valuables not accepted and no responsibility will be taken for stored items.
- All clothing that is discarded at the start or finish lines and lost property not claimed on day will be donated to charity.
What happens if I require medical attention on the day?
- A basic first aid kit is available at the Sapphire Coast Runners tent.
- Trained first-aiders will be positioned at Ford Park and along the Lake Street section of the 10km event.
- If further assistance is required, such as transportation to hospital, costs are incurred by the patient.
Where are the drink stations?
- Ford Park start/finish area
- Beach Street (5km & 10km event)
- Merimbula Wharf (10km mid-point turnaround area)
Where are toilet facilities located?
- Both events: Public toilets available at Ford Park and near Fishpen roundabout on Ocean Drive
- 10km event: Public toilets available at Spencer Park on Main Street and Wharf turnaround
- LED race clocks will be positioned at the finish, indicating official time.
- Finishers who have provided a mobile number will receive an SMS with their race result following the event.
- A presentation to category winners will take place at finish area at approximately 10.30am.
- Event results will be available online at Tomato Timing within an hour of the event finish, with age categories determined as follows:
- Under 8 (shown for 2km kids dash only)
- 8 – 11 (shown for 2km kids dash only)
- Under 14 (shown for 5km & 10km only)
- 14 – 19
- 20 – 29
- 30 – 39
- 40 – 49
- 50 – 59
- 60 – 69
- 70 and over
Are prams or assisted wheelchairs allowed?
- Prams, strollers and assisted wheelchairs are permitted however, people pushing them must be aware that the course involves transitions up and down gutters and across uneven sections of ground.
- Entrants who are pushing a pram or wheelchair are requested to start at the back of each start zone and be considerate of other runners and walkers around them by allowing extra room.
- Children and babies travelling in prams or people in assisted wheelchairs are not required to be registered.
Are pets allowed?
- No animals are allowed on the course.
- Assistance dogs are permitted but the Fun Run organisers must be made aware of this, please email us.
What other restrictions apply?
- Bikes, skateboards, scooters, rip sticks, rollerblades or similar items are prohibited for safety reasons.
- This event is promoted as a smoke free event.
REWARDS AND PRIZES
What rewards are on offer?
- All people registering online receive via email a coupon for two free trial issues of RUNNER’S WORLD and are eligible for special spot prizes on the day
- All registered finishers receive a special Sapphire Coast Runners finisher medal and access to a downloadable finisher certificate online
- Sponsor samples and goodies are made available to registered runners at the finish line
What event category prizes are on offer?
Note: The official gun time is considered your official race time and is the basis for any category awards and prizes given out to participants. Participants are only eligible for one individual award in the event category entered. Participants must walk or run unassisted to be eligible for prizes.
In 2016 event category winners and 2nd and 3rd place-getters will share a generous prizemoney pool and be awarded a trophy, Westpac running singlet and a movie voucher from The Picture Show Man Merimbula.
- 10km Run $1600 Prizemoney Pool
Male and Female winners each receive a trophy plus prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd:
1st – $400
2nd – $250
3rd – $150
Note: There is no prize category in the 10km event for juniors (under 14s) as the organisers do not wish to encourage children younger than 14 to race such a long distance. It is up to the parent or the guardian to decide if their child is capable of completing and enjoying the longer course.
- Open 5km Run|Walk Prizemoney Pool $800
Open male and female winners each receive a trophy plus prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd:
1st – $200
2nd – $125
3rd – $75
- Junior 5km Run|Walk Prizemoney Pool $500
Junior male and female winners each receive a trophy plus prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd:
1st – $125
2nd – $75
3rd – $50
- 5km Kids Dash
Kids Dash male and female winners each receive a trophy plus donated prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Teams Prizemoney Pool $400
Team prizes awarded in the following categories:
- 10km Open Team Champion – awarded travelling perpetual team trophy, team trophy keepsake plus $100 prizemoney
- 5km Open Team Champion – awarded travelling perpetual team trophy, team trophy keepsake plus $100 prizemoney
- Best Dressed team – awarded team trophy keepsake plus $100 prizemoney
- Largest team – awarded team trophy keepsake plus $100 prizemoney
Are refreshments available on the day?
- At the start/finish there will be hospitality stalls and a complimentary refuel and fruit station for finishers.
- Road closures and detours will be in place to ensure the safety of participants and non-event community.
- Residents and visitors are requested to refrain from parking on Market Street Southbound (between Beach Street and the bridge), and the lower parking area at the Wharf on morning of event.
What parking will be available?
- Limited parking is available close to the Ford Park start/finish area and all drivers should make them self aware of road closures and detours in place for the event.
- It may be necessary to park at the boat ramp car park on Arthur Kaine Drive or Palmer Street and Alice Street car parks in town and walk to /from start/finish area. Note, Beach Street car park, Fishpen Road car parks and lower car park at the Wharf will be closed.
- Where volunteers and competitors are are living/staying in Merimbula they are encouraged to leave car at accommodation/home and walk to/from start/finish area.
- Car pooling is also encouraged.
- Please note that illegally parked vehicles can be infringed.
- Race info – frequently asked questions
- Register online
- Road closures
- Contact Merimbula Fun Run
- Like Merimbula Fun Run on Facebook